For me, simplification is one of the most basic ideologies to enhance my life. In a world where information flows through more channels and gaining access to information has never been easier - there is something to be said for removing the clutter and making way for true emotional progress.
The ability to simplify allows you to unlock and engage with the important aspects of life: love, gratitude, giving, etc. Simplification allows me to see past all the bullshit and negativity society throws my way and allows me to mentally focus on the essential - and most of all, allows me to think for and project my true, authentic self. This is where the magic happens!
I have some core practices to help me declutter, eliminate, simplify and optimize my life:
1. Breathe - Take a moment to sit down and focus on your breathing. Some people are scared of the idea of meditating - so we'll call it breathing. I use a great website www.headspace.com for guided practice. Ten minutes is all you need, and it will allow your 'hard drive' to defragment and reboot for the day ahead.
2. Diet - You are what you eat. One of the foundations to living a life of abundance! It amazes me that to this day people will complain they don't have enough energy, feel tired, are overweight, sick - you name it. When it comes to making choices on food, they are habitual in a way that perpetuates degradation. The focus on diet should be to use food as fuel to optimize your body's functioning - allowing yourself the ability to make clear, conscious decisions all day. Focus on real ingredients, organic whenever possible. Who doesn't want to feel their best? I drink a green smoothie every day. It allows me to get a ton of macronutrients in (quick and easy) and sustain better energy levels throughout the day. Try www.simplegreensmoothies.com for great recipes.
3. Exercise - This goes hand-in-hand with the aforementioned. This idea of 'sweat equity' goes a long way in our overall physical and emotional well-being. When you have a heightened sense of awareness and better focus, you are able to make decisions objectively. For me, CrossFit is a great platform to optimize my fitness abilities. It allows for not only a quick, high-performance workout, and also engages in a community aspect which is crucial to building your 'emotional muscle', learning and growing.
4. Less is More - When it comes to possessions, less is more. Material 'things' complicate our lives, take up too much of our income, attention and values. The focus here should be removing the physical clutter which will allow for better peace of mind in the process. In the end, you won't be able to take any of it with you, so why complicate the 'here & now' and get caught up in acquiring 'things'? Spend your time and money on an experience, traveling, or volunteering your time and helping make someone else's day better. You won't regret it!
5. Turn off the TV & unplug from social media - Society wants you to be mediocre. There, I said it! Cats out of the bag. Through marketing, consumerism, and other methods, society will void you of creativity, free-thinking and more importantly - your true, authentic self. Most people welcome society with open arms. Don't be the majority. Turn off the TV, step away from social media, and engage in reading, learning, growing and cultivating thought.
Simplifying brings balance, happiness, and love. Remember, you are in the driver's seat with the choices you make. Take advantage of the things that are in your control. Daily conscious efforts focusing on the essential gives you the time freedom to develop better relationships and habits to help your life flourish...and to live with abundance!
All The Best,
Please make sure to subscribe to my blog for more free content!